To Book your place on one of the below courses, please contact Claire O’Brien on 0161 486 2100 or e-mail email@example.com
Your role as a Shop Steward and/or a Health & Safety Representatives plays a vital part within your union by supporting your members in the workplace.
Your union runs training courses to support you as an elected official in your roles as a Shop Steward and/or Health or Safety Representative. This enables you as an elected official to receive the training and support required for you to undertake and carry out your role.
To find out more about these courses and to book your place, please call Claire O’Brien on 0161 486 2108. Included on this page is a full breakdown of what each course will now offer.
This course has been designed to explain and equip URTU Shop Stewards in their role and to develop and improve their skills and knowledge. The course identifies ways in which improvements can be implemented to make the Union more effective at a local level.
Course Aims for Basic Shop Steward:
- Ensure you understand your role within the Union and your responsibilities toward the members
- Develop your communication skills
- Give you a clearer understanding of relevant legislation
- Consolidate your negotiating skills
- Give you an understanding of the importance of recruitment and retention
- Develop your recruitment skills
- Increase your confidence as a Shop Steward
Course Aims for Advanced Shop Steward:
- Ensure you enhance your Shop Steward skills
- Develop your knowledge of Discipline & Grievance procedures
- Develop your knowledge of Collective Consultation and TUPE
- Improve your negotiating skills
- Develop your understanding of the UK legal system
- Gain an understanding of Employment law updates
- Develop your understanding of the working time regulations
Basic Shop Steward
16 – 20 October 2017
5 – 9 March 2018
Advanced Shop Steward
16 – 20 April 2018
11 – 15 June 2018
Health & Safety Representative
This course has been designed to explain and equip URTU Health & Safety Representatives in their role and enable them to gain knowledge of the job and the trade union approach to health and safety.
Course Aims for Basic Health & Safety:
- Ensure you can handle Health & Safety issues and develop an appropriate response to both members and management
- Demonstrate your understanding of the updated safety representatives and safety committees (SRSC) regulations
- Ensure you know how to conduct effective workplace inspections, including all accidents and near misses
- Develop your skills to identify obtain, order and summarise relevant health and safety information.
Course Aims for Advanced Health & Safety:
- Ensure you enhance your health and safety skills
- Demonstrate your knowledge to enable you to function in a professional and
- confident manner within the confines of health and safety legislation
- Develop your understanding of current European health and safety legislation
- Develop your understanding of the constituent parts of the major pieces of this
- Develop your understanding
Basic Health & Safety
15 – 19 January 2018
Advanced Health & Safety
14 – 18 May 2018