Open University has created an online course, English Skills for Learning to prepare people who wish to study for a degree. On completion of this Free course you will be issued with an digital badge. Digital badges are a way to demonstrat to employers online that you have gained a skill. Schools, colleges and universities are working with employers in developing these open badges that will help learners gain recognition for their skills, and assist employers in identifying the right candidate for a job.
English Skills for Learning course is for anybody who is thinking of studying for a university degree and would like to develop their English reading and writing skills, the course will take about 8 weeks to complete based on 3 hours study each week. You will be introduced to academic reading and effective note-making strategies. You will be able to develop your essay writing as well as looking at academic style and vocabulary-building strategies. This course is aimed at enhancing your understanding of sentence structure and punctuation, and will take you through a range of engaging activities which aim to expand your existing language skills.
After completing this course you will be able to:
- follow an active reading method to help you read academic texts and make notes
- critically read source texts and appropriately use the information they contain in your writing
- link ideas in your writing so that your readers can easily understand your ideas
- make use of vocabulary and grammatical structures to express yourself more formally
- make the most of online dictionaries and look at ways to record new words for future use
- understand how to organise and punctuate sentences to increase clarity